Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The way of the Samurai

Today was a busy day! 
Busy, busy, busy! 


I had so many things to do, places to go, people to talk to. Albeit the fatigue at the end of the day, I felt great about myself. Ahhh, the feeling of getting things done! Moving and shaking! 


Keeping busy and running around makes me feel important because it is a way to prove to myself that I have people to attend to, situations to take care of. 


Allowing myself to lay down on my oversized sofa, a realization I couldn't shake off my shoulders just sat there, making the busy day's satisfaction turn to dust. What whipped me like the blade of a sword was the understanding that that which kept me busy the whole day is not necessarily what is going to get me where I really want to be. 


Remaining busy allows us to feel loved and valuable. Answering emails, telephone calls, helping friends and business partners out, all the admirable activities an honorable person has got to do to get through a productive day.  


Unsuccessfully, I tried to muffle the questions that were getting louder in my head: how focused was I today on what I really want? How focused was I on my latest goal? Did I dedicate myself in a continual, uninterrupted manner towards my goal, my target? 


So you might say that your goal is a long term goal, it won't happen even if you do dedicate yourself to it for three hours straight.  To that I say, break your goal down! Choose a smaller, short term goal that will allow you to remain focused and will lead you unequivocally to the long term one.  Breaking down your goals is a good way to make them sharper, so you can powerfully focus on what's at hand at the moment, always working towards arriving at the bigger picture. 


The Time Matrix below is a great tool to help you keep on track with your priorities. 

 1.                                                                     2.
Important and Urgent

ie.
Some phone calls
Emergencies
Crises

Important and Not Urgent

ie.
Planning
Preparation
Solidifying relationships



3.
Not Important and Urgent

ie.
Emails
Distractions
Some meetings
Some phone calls

1. What needs to be done straight away. No way of getting around it. 




3. Items that need to be minimized or eliminated altogether, they suck up our time.



4.
Not Important and Not Urgent

ie.
Trivia
Chat
Time wasters
Unnecessary tasks

2. Steven Covey, author of the book "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" argues that this is what we should focus on if we really want to achieve our goals.

4. To do only when you have time to kill!  


How do you think this modern day Samurai achieved his goal? 



No comments:

Post a Comment