Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How NLP can help you deal with anxiety and fear

Faced with a tough choice/decision to make, I just realized how I was unknowingly allowing myself to feel sorry for myself.  Poor me, times are so tough and I am so young! Poor me, I don't yet know how to achieve my goals. Poor me, how am I going to become who I want to become when the government doesn't cooperate? Bla, bla, bla! Mind fog, that's what it all is!

"It is impossible for an anxious person, a worried one, or a fearful one to perceive truth. All things are distorted and thrown out of their proper relations by such mental states." Wallace D. Wattles

If you, like me, find yourself feeling sorry for yourself, feeling anxious about your future, feeling scared of what tomorrow will bring...

STOP!

Stop and breathe!

(READ BELOW AND THEN CLOSE YOUR EYES!)
Just close your eyes for one full minute (what is one minute out of the 1440 that make up our day?) and BREATHE!

Breathe in deeply and fully! Breathe in and feel the miracle of life that is within you and outside of you alike.

While you are breathing, remember something that happened to you that made you feel real good inside. A happy moment. It could have happened when you were 5 years old or last night, it doesn't matter. Just get in touch with that warm and happy feeling inside, while you are breathing.

Breathe and feel the happiness. See the scene, what happened exactly to make you feel so happy? Where were you? Who was around you? What did you hear? What were they telling you? Were you speaking at all, or laughing out loud? Breathe and see and hear and feel the image of your happiness.

While doing this, anchor the feeling! To anchor the feeling you simply have to choose a spot to touch yourself while you are breathing and feeling the happiness. You can touch your left knuckles with your right hand, or you can touch your right elbow with your left hand or you can touch your thigh, or your forehead, your choice.

Breathe + Feel the happiness + Anchor (touch a spot)

Then, you can go back to thinking about the problem, fear, stressor. While you think about that unpleasant situation, gently touch the spot you had previously touched when feeling happiness (the anchor).

You will never perceive that problem in the same way!

2 comments:

  1. Spiros Paulo FournogerakisFeb 7, 2012, 6:45:00 PM

    Very nice Elena, congratulations !!!
    Wish you lots of success !!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Spiros!
      I wish you lots of success as well!

      Delete